Volunteer Journalist/Reporter is a position that will hold membership in IVolunteer International’s Writer’s Council. The “Writer’s Council” consists of volunteer writers who will keep the organization’s official blog energized by sharing stories that are mainly relating to capacity development, human rights & security, sustainable development goals, research & opinion, women & youth, and volunteer stories. However, we also welcome stories inspired by current events happening in the world or in the writer’s own communities. We welcome all creative topics suggested by our Writers and we are very flexible in approving them.
The position is a flexible position, which means that the tasks allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the deadline and you can work from anywhere, virtually. This is an unpaid, volunteer position without any financial compensation. The position is open to citizens of any country. We always work with your schedule.
Objectives of Our Blog
- Establishing an online platform for youth leaders and writers to share their stories and the stories of others.
- Being a platform for change-making, and a source for inspiration to our readers.
- Understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the Writer’s Council.
- Have strong communication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to communication software such as Skype, Whatsapp, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, etc.
- Have intermediary experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress and Microsoft Office.
- Be able to author and publish articles on WordPress.
- Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and speaking.
- A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
- Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a team.
- Work under the leadership of the Editor-in-Chief to achieve the objectives of the Writers’ Council and the blog.
- Be able to cover events in the local community and interview important figureheads as requested.
- Produce a minimum of four articles per month.
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly virtual meetings (for the team).
All stories authored must be of your own work. If needed, the content including information and images must be appropriately cited. No previously copyrighted material is allowed to be in your work. All authors must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and plagiarism. As a writer, you can write about any topic you’re interested in as well. In the past, some writers have written articles to raise awareness about mental health, equal pay, internationally celebrated days, etc. You do not have to “stick” to a selected few avenues. We encourage you to be creative.
Commitment & Contract
A commitment of a minimum of 3-5 hours a week is expected. This cohort will be 5-month period, from September 1, 2020 to February 1, 2021.
Recognition & Benefits
- Training on WordPress utilization, academic writing, blog writing, and general ethics in journalism and feedback on each article for improvement.
- A letter of recommendation at the end of the volunteer period.
- A personal portfolio of your published articles maintained under a custom web address.
- The opportunity to network with high-level representatives from organizations worldwide.
- Experience in operating a start-up nonprofit organization and public service.
- An opportunity to practice your journalism and writing/reporting skills.
To apply, please visit this link: https://www.ivint.org/careers/
Select: Journalist/Reporter – Volunteer
Click on “Apply”
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility: Anyone aged 18-35 can apply.
Open to all countries and all fields of study.