University of Lausanne (UNIL) Master’s grants Scholarships 2018/2019 for Study in Switzerland
About Masters scholarship?
Masters scholarships are scholarships for excellence awarded exclusively to students who have graduated from a foreign university and whose academic results are of a very high level.
UNIL grants around ten scholarships a year.
The scholarship is granted for the minimum statutory period of the programme chosen by the student. It amounts to CHF 1,600 per month from 15 September to 15 July (or 10 months a year) for the complete duration of the masters (one and a half years or two years depending on the chosen masters), with the exception of cases of definitive failure after the first year.
Candidates are made aware of the fact that the sum of the scholarship awarded is not sufficient to live in Switzerland.
With regard to this, we invite candidates to consult the following page about the reference budget of a student at UNIL: http://www.unil.ch/immat/fr/home/menuguid/faq–infos-utiles/informations-utiles/taxes-detudes-et-cout-de-la.html
Students offered a scholarship will be exempt from the fixed registration fees for the courses, with the exception of the CHF 80.00 fees to be paid each semester.
What are the programmes for which it is possible to apply for a Masters scholarship?
First of all, it is not possible to apply for the following programmes:
- Master from the School of Medicine
- Master of education
- Master of Law from the Universities of Zurich and Lausanne
- Master of criminal Law, magistracy specialism
- All MASs (PhD programmes)
The list of all Masters degrees at UNIL that it is possible to apply for with the exception of the one that are mentionned above, can be found at the followint address : www.unil.ch/formations/en/home/menuinst/masters.html
Please note: for the Master of Law, only two specialisms,”international and comparative law” and “legal theory” are open to applications for Masters scholarships.
What are the conditions necessary for applying for a Masters scholarship?
- To have obtained a foreign university degree considered equivalent to a bachelor at UNIL before the beginning of the masters programme at UNIL.
- To have distinguished yourself during your studies, especially through particularly brilliant academic results.
- To have a language level of at least B2 (according to the European Language Portfolio global scale) in French or English according to the language in which your chosen masters is taught.
- Not to have been registered with UNIL in the past.
- To have paid the CHF 200.00 administration fee (see document, “list of documents to attach to your application”).
Withdrawal from the programme will lead to the suspension of the scholarship.
How can I apply for a Masters scholarship?
Candidates must send their completed application (refer to the document, “list of documents to attach to your application”), unbound, by post only to the following address:
Université de Lausanne
Service des affaires sociales et de la mobilité étudiante (SASME)
CH – 1015 Lausanne
The application form must be completed on a computer and duly signed by the candidate.
The application for the Masters scholarship also serves as an application for admission to your chosen masters (and therefore an application to register at UNIL).
You must not make an application for admission to the master’s degree via the Admissions Department (SII).
The deadline for applications is 1 November to begin a master’s degree during the following academic year, in the autumn semester or the spring semester if the programme allows. The postmark will attest to the date sent.
Incomplete applications, particularly those lacking certified copies of the academic documents requested, will not be considered.
Calendar of the selection process
- 1 November: application deadline
- November-December: Processing of applications by the Social Affairs and Student Mobility Office (SASME) and the Admissions department (SII)
- December-January: The SASME informs candidates whose application is incomplete or has not been accepted by the admissions department that their application for the scholarship has been unsuccessful.
- January-February: Complete applications are transferred to the faculties for consideration of their eligibility for the chosen masters degrees.
- February-March: The SASME informs candidates whose application has not been accepted by the faculty.
- March: The selection board for masters scholarships selects the candidates who will be offered a masters scholarship.
- Early April: candidates are informed of the selection board’s decision.
Decisions may not be appealed
For further information, please refer to the FAQs. For any further information, you can contact us by email at email@example.com or by telephone on +41 21 692 2113.
Please note: there will be no response to questions where the answers are available on our website, and in the FAQs in particular.
FAQ Masters scholarship at UNIL.pdf (210 Ko)
For more information visit Masters Scholarship