Model European Union Strasbourg (MEUS) is an annual 7-day long youth conference that has taken place at the European Parliament in Strasbourg since 2007. Every year, approximately 200 young people have taken part in a simulation of the international decision-making process organized by the MEUS Organising Team consisting of more than 50 young students and professionals dedicating their time on a voluntary basis to create a unique, inclusive learning experience for youth.
This year’s edition of MEUS, however, will take place online during the autumn of 2021 (24-26 September, 2-3 October) and is completely free. Participants this year will be discussing two EU proposals relating to the European Green Deal and Digital Europe programs.
However, no previous simulation experience or knowledge of the EU legislative procedure is required!
Specifically, we are looking for Journalists that will help us cover what happens in the European Parliament and Council hemicycles by reporting during the conference in the form of a news feed incorporated into the conference for all participants to read.
This position is open to citizens of any country.
Objectives of the MEUS 2021 Conference:
- Create an immersive educational experience of European Union politics.
- Build a network of enthusiastic citizens who believe in the idea of the European Union.
- Provide young people with valuable experience for their career and education development.
- Empower young people to become the next generation of European leaders.
- Give participants the opportunity to develop soft skills like public speaking, debating, negotiating, teamwork.
- European Green Deal: Regulation establishing the Just Transition Fund
- Digital Europe: Regulation on preventing the dissemination of Terrorist Content Online
- Applicants must be between 18 – 27 years of age as of 24th September 2021.
- Have experience, or a keen interest in Journalism.
- Have strong communication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to software such as Zoom, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, etc.
- Have some experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress, and Microsoft Office.
- Have at least an intermediate (B1) level of English.
- Have basic video making skills: cutting, connecting various footage, adding sound effects and graphics, fine-tune that fit the video (preferably)
- Be able to participate during the 4 days of the conference (24-26 September, 2-3 October), each day for 4 – 6 hours.
Responsibilities During The Conference:
- Conducting impromptu yet directed interviews to gain an insight into the inner workings of the European Parliament and the Council.
- Publishing real-time breaking news, covering what happened in the conference, and then, later on, published on an online designated platform for all participants to read.
- Read through all of the materials that will be provided for you before the conference that contains information about: the Conference’s topic, the working procedure of the European Parliament, European Council, and your work’s guidance.
If selected, you will be guided and supported from your application to the conference with preparatory meetings, materials, and of course, dedicated Role Coordinators who can answer all of your questions.
Recognition & Benefits
- A digital certificate of participation within a month of the conclusion of the conference.
- The opportunity to develop your Journalism skills, including interviewing, investigating, reporting, and producing breaking news.
- Learn about European politics and the decision-making process.
- Learn about the two topics that will be discussed at this year’s conference: European Green Deal (Regulation on the Just Transition Fund) and Digital Europe (Regulation on preventing the dissemination of terrorist content online).
- Improving your English language/public speaking skills.
- Have the opportunity for all of your works to be published online on a WordPress-based platform.
- Meet like-minded young people from around the world.
Application Deadline: August 7th 2021, 23:59 CET.
Conference Date: 24-26 September, 2-3 October
Application form: meu-strasbourg.org/apply2021
For more information, please visit: https://meu-strasbourg.org/journalist